Monday 16 April 2018

Time for a change.

As you walk through my front door, there is the perfect spot at the end of the hall, just made for hanging quilts. You may remember, I persuaded himself to put up a curtain pole for me, so that I could do just that. Since Christmas, Spring Sprouts has been greeting visitors.
But the other day I decided it was time for a change, I'm not ready for anything wintry yet, so out came my itty bitty quilt. I'm not sure how long it will last. It is a rather wobbly wavery quilt, and all that wavering annoys me. But I do like the colours and seeing all those tiny bits of fabric.
Speaking of wintry, the weather has taken a cool turn this last week and someone has discovered the warmest place in the house!
For those who don't recognise it, that white box on the wall is a heater. And the black box was my aerobics step!! Now, it has become Belles booster step, it is just the right height for her to stretch out on and lie in the warm air that blows out of the vent at the bottom of the heater. She even puts her paws and her nose inside the vent!!
I wouldn't mind the life of a cat.
And staying with the keeping warm theme, Tony and I were invited to a 'pot luck' night at the weekend. More specifically a curried pot luck. Yum.
So how do you get your pot luck to your friends house without it cooling down too much?
In a casserole cosy of course.
I've wanted to make one for a while, and this gave me the perfect excuse.
Coordinating fabrics, some velcro and the very last piece of insulbright in the store.
And there you have it. One very cosy casserole.
 Oh! And an order for two more please. The hostess and one of the other ladies who attended were delighted by it and want their very own!
I forgot to take a picture of it, but I also took along a wee table runner for the hostess. I used scraps of my fruit and veg fabrics. 
Also last week I finished off the second farmyard quilt. Claire runs a craft stall at the local farmers market and also at some of the larger swap meets in the area. She has asked Debbie and I if we would like to help stock her stall. These will be going along to the next one.
Over the weekend I have been busy cross stitching again, working away on the elephant design that Debbie asked me to finish. No photo sorry. It's all rolled up as it is such a long thin design, maybe next time I need to move things along, I might remember to unroll and take a progress picture. 
*
In garden news, I think the beans have finally given up! There were only three when I looked yesterday. The courgettes also seemed to have given up. There are three tiny fruit there too, but I'm not sure if they will develop any further, the cooler weather is finally taking it's toll.
In the green house the peppers are still slowly changing to a red colour, but much slower than a few weeks ago. Many of the leaves are yellowing and falling off. Almost time I think to strip out what is left and get it into the freezer.
Here is yesterdays offerings.
They are slowing down, but only a little.
In an effort to use and preserve some of those wee red devils, last week I turned to the WWW and found a recipe for 'Evil Chilli Chutney'. I put two dozen habanero chilli into it, along with a mixture of the others, just enough to make it up to the 450g the recipe called for. 
We took a jar along to the curry pot luck. 
Tony says it is milder than he thought it would be.
I won't be trying it.
*
Right, a day off work, with the house all to myself.
Domestics, then elephants methinks!




5 comments:

Janice said...

It certainly is cooling down over your way. Belle isn't silly. We haven't had to put the heater on yet, as April has been very warm....until Saturday, when things have started to feel autumnal...but afternoon temps still in the 20s. High 20s again at the end of the week. I'm looking forward to casseroles and winter food, but also not looking forward to cold days. Your casserole cosy would have been perfect.

Anonymous said...

Hi Loulee lovely post ,i love how you are hanging your quilts on the rod,what a great idea.Also a great idea is your casserole cover what a great way to carry a casserole,i can see why you got 2 orders,and how funny and cute is your furry friend,hope you have a lovely day my friend xx

julieQ said...

I just love your row by row quilt...but it looks not as wavery as mine, LOL!! I have that on my list to finish this year!

Karen S said...

It is good to have a spot to hang quilts and i like the idea of being able to change them all the time. Great to see your Itty Bitty having a turn.
looks like your pot warmer bag was a hit, too.

Brigitte said...

Your quilts on the rod looks terrific. They are certainly a real eye-catcher when entering the house.
Such a nice idea this pot cosy. No wonder that the other ladies placed an order to get their own cosies as well :))